Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Shrine (August 2011)

I removed the images from the photographs to protect privacy
So I've updated and moved my shrine. The previous location was too easy to overlook and became something of a cat highway.

On the left is a statue of The Morrigan by Maxine Miller, on the right a statue by Neil Sims of Kernunnos (I know how typical am I with The Morrigan and Kernunnos? I admit The Kernunnos statue appealed to me on aesthetics almost solely whereas The Morrigan felt more..firm? Either way I resisted both but feel like I'm behaving like a petulant 13 year old hipster in doing so, thus, the embracing shall commence!).

The tree in the center is a brass tree I inherited from my mother. The candle holder is salt with a homemade beeswax votive. The incense holder/storage box/burner was a gift from my brother. The three small bowls are stone and used to hold offerings to the Kindreds. The goblet is green and brown onyx. Above the photos is an incomplete representation of the Druid Sigil. I say incomplete because I prefer the version with vines around the circular 'wreath' of the symbol.

In future I'd like to add the vines I see as 'missing'. Perhaps in tandem with the achivement of goals along this journey. I also need to add a photograph of my father as well as my baby nephew. I've thought about an altar cloth, something to mark the seasons or the upcoming High Day but for now at least I find it easier to keep clean and organized without one. I also hope to clear out the items in the chest supporting the shrine to store my incense and other offerings. Right now everything is a bit scattered around my room and work area in the back of the house. It bothers me that it's scattered not sure why, I kinda feel like it all ought to be centralized, neat and organized. Hmm.

I've also found that putting it in the new location has made me more aware, more mindful, and helped give me the boot in the butt to start some kind of dailyish practice. So far it consists of kneeling, lighting incense and praying - in VERY broad terms - to the Ancient Ones, the Noble Ones, and the Shining Ones.

I've also been diagnosed with a hole in my left eardrum and since that's probably been ongoing since June and according to my GP my right ear 'looks weird' (really not what you want to hear in an exam) I have an appointment with a specialist early next month, all of which leads me to this - I am hopeful that my continued semi effective rarely documented attempts at meditation will improve once the persistent ringing is addressed. I have no idea if any treatment or recovery is possible but at least I know it's not just in my head.

So, here's hoping I will be diligent in continuing my evening prayers and can get a handle on meditation. Maybe then I'll feel ready for my first Oath?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog